Government regulation at all levels plays a vital role in our personal, business, professional, and economic lives. Local, state, and federal agencies have almost constant rulemaking in progress. Informal agency procedures, interpretations, and enforcement actions impact all of us, especially business owners and operators. Many industries require private accreditations and certifications in order for businesses to operate lawfully.
Administrative law includes local, state, and federal legislation as well as local, state, and federal formal rulemaking pursuant to applicable administrative codes. Regulatory awareness and compliance is essential to any successful business. These local, state, and federal agencies and administrative bodies issue licenses and permits, require periodic reporting of various kinds, receive complaints and conduct investigations, conduct administrative hearings, and issue compliance and remedial orders including fines, suspensions, terminations, and reinstatements.
These administrative powers are provided to these agencies by local, state, and federal government legislation. Successful businesses stay alert to this legislation and often become involved in the passage or defeat of legislation affecting their respective industries.
Whitaker Chalk administrative law attorneys represent clients before local, state, federal agencies and industry accreditation and certification groups at all phases of the compliance process. Whitaker Chalk attorneys also represent clients in the drafting of legislation. Whitaker Chalk attorneys advise clients in structuring policies and business practices that comply with regulatory requirements and in responding to administrative agency inquiries, investigations, and hearings.
Local Municipalities and Municipal Agencies
Whitaker Chalk lawyers regularly appear before city councils, city council hearings, city council subcommittees, local municipal agencies, and quasi-local government bodies on behalf of our clients. These activities include the following.
- Land use planning and zoning.
- Zoning Commission appearances, hearings, and appeals.
- Board of Adjustment – Residential – appearances, hearings, and appeals.
- Board of Adjustment – Commercial – appearances, hearings, and appeals.
- City Plan Commission appearances, hearings, and appeals.
- Building Permits.
- Occupancy Permits.
- Construction and Fire Prevention Board of Appeals appearances and hearings.
- City Council appearances and hearings.
- Municipal Court appearances and proceedings.
- Municipal Eminent Domain representation.
- Public works construction litigation.
- Litigation representation of municipalities.
State Legislatures And State Agencies
Whitaker Chalk lawyers appear before state legislatures and state agencies in representation of our clients. These activities include the following.
- State Securities Boards.
- Texas State Securities Board.
- State Departments of Licensing and Regulation.
- Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.
- State Departments of Education.
- Texas Education Agency.
- Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
- State Departments of Higher Education.
- State Oil and Gas Commissions.
- State Energy Commissions.
- Texas Railroad Commission.
- State Alcohol Commissions.
- Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.
- Workforce Development Agencies and Commissions.
- Texas Workforce Commission.
- State Health and Human Services Commissions.
- Texas Department of Health.
- Texas Department of Human Services.
- Texas Department of Family and Protective Services.
- State Departments of Transportation.
- Texas Department of Transportation.
- State Departments of Insurance.
- Texas Department of Insurance.
- State Medical Boards.
- Texas Medical Board.
- State Nursing Boards.
- Texas Nursing Board.
- State Legislative Committees.
- Texas Legislative Committees – House of Representatives and Senate.
Federal Government And Agencies
Whitaker Chalk lawyers appear before U.S. congressional committees – House of Representatives and Senate – in representation of clients affected by existing and pending legislation. Whitaker Chalk lawyers represent clients before federal agencies and commissions.
- S. Securities Commission.
- Internal Revenue Service.
- S. Department of Education.
- S. Department of Agriculture.
- S. Department of Energy.
- S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- S. Department of Transportation.
- S. Department of Justice.
- S. Department of Commerce.
- S. Immigration and Naturalization Service