Whitaker Chalk has represented institutions of higher education in education law matters at all levels of statutory, regulatory and accreditation compliance for more than twenty-five years. The loss of institutional eligibility for federal student financial assistance can mean the death of that institution. We are also experienced in the specialized rules and regulations applicable to the acquisition or merger of post-secondary colleges and schools.
Post-secondary colleges and schools (for-profit and not-for-profit), including specialized subject matter, career and vocational colleges and schools, train hundreds of thousands of students each year in the United States in order to provide skills and knowledge essential for gainful employment in many jobs that are crucial to the U.S. economy. Many people entering the workforce for the first time, retraining for new skills required for new jobs, transitioning from old jobs to new ones or obtaining graduate education rely on these educational institutions. These colleges and schools are highly regulated by state, federal and various accreditation and loan-guaranty agencies. Many students attending these colleges and schools rely on a complicated system of federal student financial assistance that is provided by federal statutes and regulations, related state statutes and regulations and regional or national accreditation for both institutional and student eligibility for this financial assistance.
Institutions Of Higher Education
- Assist clients with obtaining and maintaining state licensure.
- Assist clients with obtaining and maintaining accreditation – regional and national.
- Assist clients with obtaining and maintaining loan guaranty qualification.
- Assist clients with obtaining and maintaining federal student financial assistance eligibility.
- Represent clients before state, federal, and regulatory agencies in administrative law hearings before administrative law judges and other hearings officers.
- Represent clients in accreditation, reaccreditation, and complaint hearings before accreditation bodies.
- Assist clients with on-site accreditation visits.
- Assist clients with state agency investigations and compliance.
- Assist clients with federal program reviews and other investigations.
- Represent clients in state and federal courts regarding alleged student complaints and alleged regulatory and statutory proceedings.
- Represent clients in False Claims Act lawsuits.
- Perform internal compliance investigations.
- Assist clients in the drafting of state legislation.
- Provide expert witness testimony and appearances before state legislatures, state and federal agencies, and accreditation bodies.
- Assist clients with the purchase of post-secondary for-profit colleges and schools.
- Assist clients with the sale of post-secondary for-profit colleges and schools
- Perform due diligence for purchase and sale of post-secondary for-profit colleges and schools.
- Assist clients with program development.
- Assist clients with employment issues, investigations, and litigation.